Sunday, 5 April 2015

Happy Easter, the first post...

Happy Easter and welcome to my blog! Since the start of 2015 life has been pretty busy, coming third at British Duathlon Championships and qualifying for World Championships in October have been the highlights so far.  Nuffield Health have giving me the funding to allow me to compete at World Championships and with Europeans Championships just three weeks away I thought it was time to right about my adventures, training and journey. 

With the four days off over easter I see it as great time to get those long training sessions in. Good Friday kicked started with some hill reps with my coach Dan Sims. Up Knowle Hill three times; trying to beat my time each set. I'm learning that the descent is just as important, keeping that power going and resisting the wimp in me that wants to brake! Following the session I decided to jump
onto another saddle and join my friend on her little pony 
"Black Beauty" for a relaxing hack and catch up, though for a little thing she was pretty strong-willed and I had a tough time stopping her cantering home with me!

Yesterday was a full on day.  An 80mile cycle with the cycle club San Fairy Anne to Rye, Romney Marshes and back. My longest ride to date! The ride didn't start great, joining the wrong group at the start (shooting off at 20mph!) I knew I wasn't going to maintain this pace and Dad (who had joined was definatly going to burn 
out!). We dropped back to join the slower group. After waiting
twenty minutes they didn't appear. Getting slightly worried with
only 7miles into the ride we decided to make our own way to Rye (with the help of Google maps). Proudly I directed us (it probably wasn't the prettiest route)and we made it 30miles in, cycling through the busy little town we found the bikes outsidea cafe,  only 25minutes behind the quick group. There they were tucking into their bacon sarnies. I was happy with my cake and hot chocolate!  (the first of 3 that day!). Meeting the slower group we set off through the marshes with a 20mph head wind to get through. 
Tucking myself behind one of the big guys I tried to hang onto the faster groups back wheel. Dad was suffering a bit now and was hanging back with the slower group. 60miles in it was time for another stop and while the men tucked into apple crumble and custard I had more hot chocolate (it is easter after all) and a millionaires shortbread lots of needed sugar! (my favourite). Ready for the last leg. This was  a fairly easy 20miles home. I was surprised to find I  didn't feel that tired, it could have been that for once as I was refuelling well and not leaving it too late to eat like I normally do. The legs felt ok so I finished it off with a 10minute brick run while Dad loaded the car.. 

Easter Sunday! Today I plan to run after the luxury of a lie in and chocolate with breakfast :)  I'm giving it a bit of time to pass until heading out there,  I have a taste for dark chocolate and with a lack of eggs in the shops and a unorganised mother :p  I have been given  a bar of my favourite as seen below! I'm then off for a lovely pony ride with Emily and Mango (the dog).  I will just add it has been 40 days and nights with not a drop of alcohol consumed! Not that I drink much but I may treat myself to a 
small glass tonight, then maintain alcohol free until after Europeans :)
Have a good Easter everyone! 


  1. looks as if you have your training well organised, but had a relaxing time over Easter. Like Emily and Mango.

  2. Thanks :) new blog this week!